Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Battle Report Screamer Star vs Grey Knights

Battle Report Screamer Star vs Grey Knight

Today i got a practice game for the Brawl in the Fall with my buddy Danny. We're both going to this weekend's tournament. I wanted to see if I could handle Grey Knights and avoid the Storm Raven.

Here's my list.
Fateweaver
Herald of Tzeentch on Disk Grimoire
(Perfect Timing, Prescience, Flickering Fire)

Herald of Tzeentch on Disk Portalglyth
(Prescience, Forewarning, FF)

Herald of Tzeentch on Disc Locus
(Precognition, Prescience, FF)

Herald of Tzeentch on Disk
(Scryer's Gaze, Prescience, FF)

Plaguebearers
Plaguebearers
Plaguebearers

Screamers x5
Flesh Hounds x10

Daemon Prince of Tzeentch
Wings, Armour, Greater x2. Lesser
(Haemorrage, Dominate)
(Hellfire Gaze, Daemonic Resilience, Staff)

Danny's List
Coteaz
Inquisitor
Techmarine

Assassins x7
Land Raider Crusader Psybolt

Assassins x7
Land Raider Crusader Psybolt

Henchman x4
Razorback Psybolt

Henchman x4
Psybolt

Dreadknight
Storm Raven

Mission Round 3
Primary: Crusade 5obj (14 pts)
Secondary: Purge the Alien (10 pts)
Tertiary: First Blood, Slay the Warlord, Linebreaker (each worth 2 pts)

I win the roll for sides. I get the table quarter on bottom left with a LOS building.
No Night Fight
One obj in the middle of the board and 1 each in the middle of the table quarters for a total of 5.
Danny wins the roll to go first and he takes it.

He deploys with Inq LR on his right, DreadKnight in the middle and Coteaz LR on his left. All 12in. away from the center

I deploy my Star on my left corner spread out, Fate behind the building on the left, Prince on the right of him. Hounds scout up to the middle of the center LOS blocking building.

Danny's reserves- Storm Raven, Both Razorbacks
My reserves- all 3 plaguebearer squads

I fail to seize.

Turn 1
Danny moves Dreadknight to the right 12 inches. Coteaz LR to the left 6in.
His shooting kills 3 dogs.

Bottom Turn 1
I pass Forewarning,  Prescience. Scryer's Gaze

Roll for Grimoire on the Star and pass. I drop the Portal on my deployment and spawn a single horror. Runs into cover inside a ruin.
Hounds move forward 12in in front of the Dknight. Star moves forward to the left flank following Fate. Prince goes after the LR with Coteaz. Fate and Prince are swooping.

Warp Storm Table: 6 nothing happens. 

Shooting Phase: Prince shoots at the LR with Hellfire Gaze. I roll a 2 to hit, a 6 to Pen and a 3 for the immobilized result thanks for the +2 on AP1.
Screamer Star turbo boosts 24in to the left flanks corner. Expecting the Storm Raven to come in, I place a screamer in between each Herald to minimize the damage from a mindstrike missile.

Assault: I miss the charge with my hounds against the Dreadknight even with fleet.

Pretty good 1st turn. I got his side of the board with my Star. Hounds trying to slow down the Knight. I immobilized one of the Land Raiders. Only lost 3 hounds.

Turn 2.
Reserves: Only 1 Razorback comes in.
Danny moves his LR and Dknight to shoot at the Hounds. He flanks the Razorback his right.

Shooting: I lose 5 Hounds to his LR and Dknight flamer. He tries to wound my Prince with his immobile LR but fails to do anything. I pass my grounding test.

Bottom Turn 2
Reserves: With Scryer's up, I leave all my units in Reserves.
I pass Prescience, Forewarning

Movement: I pass Grimoire. Fate leaves the board. Prince lands to try to assault the LR that can't move. (Lol Huge Mistake). 2 Hounds try to hide but really can't.  Screamers move in single order on his board edge. Spread out like before. (Awaiting Mindstrike Deaths)
I spawn 5 horrors and they move up 6 inches.

Warp Storm Table: I roll a 9. Nothing really happens.

Shooting: I dont Glance with Hellfire on the Prince. I turbo boost 12 in on his board edge with my Star. Solo horror runs inside ruin and gets within 3 in. of obj. He stays there all game holding it.

Assault: I assault the immobile LR with Prince, with 6 attacks hitting automatically needing 6's to glance i do 1 hull point.
(I really should have Smashed 3 attacks Strength 10 auto hit needing 4s to glance and re-rolls pen rolls! Doh!)

Turn 3
Reserves: He doesnt get the Raven but Razorback comes in close to his left quarter obj. He moves his LR into the middle of the board. Dreadknight goes after Prince. Coteaz, Techmarine, and assassins get out to properly do the Dreadknights job and kill stuff. His flanking Razorback moves 12in.

Shooting:
He kills the Hounds with the LR in the middle for First Blood.  He does a wound to the Prince in shooting.
Assault:
With Rad, Psychotroke, and Psych Grenades, the Assassins annihilate the Prince in combat...(Dirty!)

Bottom Turn 3
I pass Forewarning, Perfect Timing, and Prescience. ( My Psychic Power Ménage à trois)

Fateweaver and a squad of Plaguebearers come in.

Movement: I pass Grimoire. Star keeps hugging his board edge by moving 12in closer to his Razorback. Fate flies in front of his Coteaz & Assassins. I drop Plaguebearers on his deployment zone obj. And scatter closer to the center. 5 Horrors move to the left to shoot at Coteaz squad.

Warp Storm Table 9 nothing really happens.
Shooting:

Fate shoots into Coteaz with Flickering Fire and kills only 1 Doh!
Horrors shoot at Coteaz unit but his mind is strong and he denies it.
My Heralds shoot at his Razorback, I roll a total of 28 shots, needing 6s to Pen and ignoring cover, i completely blow it up. He did not DTW. He loses 3 henchman in the explosion and get pinned rolling a 9.

Kill Points Daemons 1_Grey Knights 2

Turn 4
Reserves: Storm Raven comes in. He decides to move into the center and get shots into Fate going for Slay the Warlord. (Whew, Star is safe one more turn)

Movement:
Dreadknight goes after my Pink Horrors and Portalglyth. Land Raider in the middle stays close to the center.

Shooting:
Storm Raven shoots Multimelta, Hurricane Bolters and Assault Cannon into Fateweaver and deals 3 wounds. I roll for grounding test and fail, I take my reroll and fail again and get grounded. Take the str 9 hit and it deals a wound. (Oops)
LR in the middle kills a few Plaguebearers. Dreadknight flames the Portalglyth and at the same time hitting 3 pink horrors and killing 2.

Assault:
He blows up the Glyth. Assassins check Fateweaver off their list and the gamble pays off in the end for gaining Slay the Warlord.

Bottom Turn 4
I pass Prescience, Perfect Timing and Forewarning.

Reserves: Both Plaguebearers come in and drop on the top left corner obj.

Movement:
I pass the Grimoire.
The Star moves in range of the Storm Raven. Right Plaguebearers move closer to the middle. Horrors move to the right to threaten his obj on the bottom right.

Warp Storm Table:
I Roll A Freakin 6 5. An eleven. He has 2 psykers on the board! Coteaz and the Dreadknight. 1-3 Coteaz takes it. 4-6 Dread takes it. He rolls a 6. He then rolls 5, 4 and 3 and the Dread turns into a Herald. (No Herald was placed)

Shooting: I shoot the Storm Raven with 3 warp charge 2 heralds, and one who had 3 warp charges. Needing 6s with Prescience i hit 12 and do just enough to wreck it. Three 6s and it crashes. Bye bye Storm Raven.
Horrors shoot FF and kill an assassin.

Kill Points Daemons 3_ Grey Knights 4

Turn 5
Movement:
Razorback on the bottom left by the immobile LR moves 6in closer to the obj, guys get out and go on top of the obj.

Assassins and Inquisitor get out of their LR and go into the middle obj on top of a ruin.  He moves the solo henchman who isnt pinned anymore into the top right obj. Getting cover from the wrecked Raven. Hes holding 3 objs now to my 2.

Shooting:
His LR in the center kills a squad of Plaguebearers that is sharing an obj with the other plague squad on the top right.
His immobile LR blows off the remaining horrors in the open.

Bottom Turn 5
I pass Forewarning and Perfect Timing. I felt I really needed ignores cover to shoot at his guys in terrain.

Movement:
I pass Grimoire. Yay!
Here I decide to spread my Star out and I feel this is what it can do best. Herald 2 moves 12in to the right. Herald 4 following behind. Screamers go into the center.

Herald with grimoire stays put. Herald 3 goes into the center.
Plaguebearers hug top left obj. Plaguebearers in the middle cannot reach the center obj. Sucks they cannot run.

Shooting:
Herald 2 shoots FF into the solo henchman burning him to death.

Herald 4 turbo boosts unto the now uncontested obj.

Herald with Grimoire shoots FF into the Assassins unit in the middle, but NO NO. With the Inquisitor being a psyker Lv 1 he denies it.

Herald 3 turbo boosts into the center obj also contesting.

Screamers turbo boosts 24in to contest the bottom left obj with henchmen.
No assaults.

At this point I have 2 objs, Danny has none.
Kill Points: Daemons 4_ Grey Knights 6

Due to time we end the game here.
And start counting up points.

I have Primary for 14pts, Linebreaker for 2pts. Total 16 pts.

Danny has Secondary for 10 pts, Linebreaker 2pts, First Blood 2pts. Slay the Warlord 2pts. Total 16pts!

IT ENDS IN A TIE!

Post game. I think my hounds need to be used as a counter attack unit and i can't put them in the front like that to die. My Prince should have Smashed. Fateweaver should have gone after Razorbacks. Overall I believe I played great. I decided to go for the Primary and it paid off.

Danny: He said that from the way I positioned my Heralds that when the Storm Raven finally came in on turn 4, going after slay the warlord was more appealing. Which he did kill Fateweaver that turn. Losing the Raven and Dreadknight took away his mobility. Overall he really enjoyed his list.

It was a blast to get this practice game in and learn some new tricks against Grey Knights.

2 more days til the Brawl in the Fall!

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, so let me get this straight...you used your 700 point deathstar to blow up a razorback? You should have had that game easily. And your opponent brought his stormraven on in HOVER? You let Fateweaver get shot at by a stormraven, with all the LOS blocking terrain? Come on man. This batrep should be called "Amateur hour x2."

    ReplyDelete
  3. The screamer star blew up a Razorback, it killed the squad inside and blew up the Storm Raven that actually was in flight mode. I rolled a lot of 6s to hit and 3 6s to wreck it. With 2 Land Raiders on the board, which I cant even hurt, and with everything else inside transports or in reserves there wasnt much for my Star to go after.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, screamers have Lamprey's Bite. On average, you're doing 2 hullpoints of damage per assault phase to a Raider. And let's tally up the total points of what you killed with the screamers: The raven, razorback, and unit altogether cost 267 points.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have 5 Screamers. And yes Im going to let myself get charge afterwards once the assassins come out. Yes I know I made mistakes. It was a practice game. And hopefully with the knowledge I learned in this game, I will do better against grey knights at the tournament.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Getting charged by assassins really doesn't matter when you have a rerollable 2+ invul and they have a 5+ invul. Your main issue this game was you needed to use your screamers more aggressively. There's very little in the game that can kill them, so just get them in there and make issues for your opponent.

    ReplyDelete